Tuesday, February 9, 2010

February 9th Part 2

Cohen's day has been rough. He is continuing to have serious spells. When we got there today he they had already charted 6, and he had 4 more while Justin and I were there. They were not your average, run of the mill spells. These were long and scary.
Needless to say, we were really upset. So was our nurse, Stacy. She chased down the doctor and they sprang into action. They took blood and checked his blood gas level, hermadacrite, and electrolytes. They were all perfect. They also put him back on the high flow nasal cannual (vapotherm) and raised it to 4 liters. Then she ordered more breathing treatments. They also did and x-ray on his chest to check for aspiration and it looked good. All this literally happened in under 30 minutes.
The doctor on call, Dr. Papp, said she thinks they have just pushed him too hard. That they need to slow down and let him learn at his own pace. I pray that she is right and this is what he needs. I feel like the Vanderbilt swallowing studies are looming over our head. I am not sure rather to push to have them now, or wait and see what happens. I sure don't want to put him through the trauma of a transfer that isn't necessary.
I am writing this to ask you to pray. Pray that Cohen can get stronger and overcome obstacles and come home. That he can breathe on his own and not damage his heart or lungs in the meantime.
We are encouraged by all that they are trying. I can't tell you thankful I am for our nurse. Words don't describe what she has done for Cohen.

We love you all and thank you for your prayers for our precious son.

1 comment:

  1. I am praying for baby Cohen and you guys as a family! I can't imagine how hard, and draining this must be on you guys! But you guys are such a great family and in the end I know you guys will be so much stronger after this! And baby Cohen will always be so special along with Calee and Ames!!! Your in my prayers if you guys need anything please let us know!!!

    Love you guys!!!