Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Worth the Wait!!!!!

Justin and I went to the hospital early this morning and stayed all day. We were casually chatting with the doctor this afternoon and I mentioned I would be glad when we could hold Cohen. She just said "You can hold him now if you want too." She told the nurse and the next thing we knew I was HOLDING OUR SON!!!!! I just don't think words can describe the joy in my heart when they put him in my arms. Justin and Dr. Haynes joked that if I didn't stop crying so hard they were going to put him back in the crib. I just could not help myself. He is the most precious, sweet little thing I have ever seen (or held!!).
When Ames was born, the doctor put him in my arms literally the minute he was delivered. I guess we pretty much held him for the next 6 months. I took for granted this simple blessing. Not being able to hold Cohen for the last 19 days has been hard. I will never again take this for granted. I am so grateful that God gave us this moment today. I am still walking on air. We stopped on the way home and bought a baby book so I could record this amazing event!!!
Cohen was turned down to 5 liters of flow on the vapotherm Saturday morning around 11 a.m. He did pretty well all day yesterday and last night. This morning when we got there he started having "spells". He had 5 within 1 hour this morning, so they had to increase his flow back to 6. We were pretty discouraged by this. That is one of the reasons it was so shocking we held him today. He is not progressing as fast as the doctors would like. They hoped the holding might stimulate him a bit. They said we might be able to hold him 2-3 times a week. If this doesn't work, they will run more tests to to rule out some other issues with his brain and his swallowing abilities. Our hope is that he is just little and taking his sweet time.
All in all, it was a wonderful day. We are taking things one day at a time and are so grateful for today.
Thank you for all your support and encouragements. We love you all dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment