Friday, February 26, 2010

February 26th

It turned out today was the day. The pediatric ENT from Vandy (Dr. Wooten)came and performed the bronc test on Cohen. Actually, he only did about half of the procedure. He didn't have to intubate him fully, so that was great news. As for results, I am going to do my best to navigate all this for you!
1. Cohen has laringomalaysia (floppy tissue in airway) We expected this would be the diagnosis. This is the reason he can't manage his secretions. Dr. Wooten said he had "pools" of liquid sitting in the back of his throat, causing him to have a hard time taking bottles, etc.
2. The feeding tube (og tube) is apparently irritaing his voice box and causing some swelling. It looks like a G tube may happen after all to give the throat time to heal.
3. He did recommend we transfer to Vanderbilt for the swallowing study. We will probably have to go the end of next week.

All in all, the news could have been much worse. We are not really excited about going to Vandy, as we are comfortable and love Baptist. Hopefully we can be sent back after the procedure.

It was a long day waiting on the doctor. I was a nervous wreck until he actually got there. He was great about answering all our questions and explaining everything in detail to us. After he left, 2 of our doctors spent alot of time helping us muddle through all the info.

I am so thankful for everyone in the NICU. God has blessed us tremendously during this journey so far. We are still praying and hoping for the best!

Thank you all for your love and support. Will update you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment