Here are some "highlights" and stats of what is going on in the precious life of Cohen.
- Cohen weights 12 lbs 3 ounces and is 24 inches long (we think the cast weighs 3 or 4 ounces)
- Cohen has a bright red cast on his left leg to help straighten his foot/leg and loosen his heel cord
- He will have a series of 2 more casts, then begin to wear a brace on his leg, we are not sure how long he will wear this, it just depends on progress-if this does not work, he will have a small operation to "clip" his heel cord.
- All feedings are still given through his "G" tube, he takes 135ml(s) of a 24 calorie formula every 4 hours
- He will have a repeat swallow study on August 2nd to see if we can safely start bottles or possibly rice cereal and/or baby food
- Cohen's NICU follow clinic visit was great-he is still at risk for developmental delays but we are hopeful they will be minor (we go back in December for the next appt)
- TEIS (Tennessee Early Intervention Service) is coming 1 to 2 times per week for physical and developmental therapy for Cohen
- Nurses for Newborns continues to come 1 time a week for weight and overall health checks
- Had 6 months vaccinations at the pediatrician last Thursday-we were nervous about his reaction since all the others were given when he was still hospitalized, but he did great and had no reaction
- Cohen is an extremely happy and animated baby, he laughs, smiles and LOVES to be tickled
- He loves his baby swing and bouncer seat (as long as someone is nearby)
- He sits up with support--i.e. bumbo seat, boppy pillow
- We are still keeping him in and away from crowds as much as possible
- I trained my Mom to tube feed him last week, so Justin and I have a back-up in case we need it (she did great!)
- Cohen still loves his pacifier and has several favorite toys he plays with
We are also thankful for all of the family, friends, and complete strangers that have prayed for and supported us during this time. We will never be able to repay you, and we are grateful beyond words.
I am sure I will think of many things I have left out----I may have to do a 6 month old part 2! Thanks for caring about our family. Love to you all.